Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann is a non-profit cultural movement involved in the preservation and promotion of Irish traditional music. There are now more than 400 branches of Comhaltas spread throughout every county, with branches in Britain, USA, Canada, China, Argentina and Europe.
Each county has a county board and there are regional boards throughout Britain and North America. There are 6 provincial councils - 4 in Ireland, 1 in Britain and 1 in USA. Comhaltas is governed nationally by the Central Executive Council.
Aims & Objectives of Comhaltas
- To promote Irish Traditional Music in all its forms
- To restore the playing of Harp and Uilleann Pipes
- To promote Irish Traditional Dancing
- To foster and promote the Irish Language at all times
- To create a closer bond among all lovers of Irish music
- To co-operate with all bodies working for the restoration of Irish Culture
- To establish Branches of Comhaltas throughout the country and abroad to achieve the foregoing aims and objectives.